Crochet striped hat that is easy with a resizable pattern. If the front/back post dc that I used a previous pattern is hard for you, you can use this pattern instead. I designed this pattern while working on another one that didn’t work and I ended up with this fantastic hat. I hope you like it.
Skill level: Easy
Thick to medium thickness yarn with suitable crochet hook
st – stitch
sl st – slip stitch
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
hdc – half double crochet
dc – double crochet
tr – treble crochet
YO – yarn over
BL – back loop only
FL – front loop only
You can make this hat any size you like. Starting chains should be the length of your hat, check the length after the first row. Continue crocheting the rows until you have the hat circumference.
R 1: Number of chains the length of your hat. Sc 2nd ch from the hook, sc, hdc in each of next 3 sts, dc in each of next 4 sts, tr in each of next sts until the end of the row. Check the length and make sure it matches your measurement.
R 2: Ch 1, turn, sl st BL in each st until the end of the row. (We’ll be using the FL that we left in the next row)
R 3: Ch 1, turn, this row will be worked in the FL we left from last row, and because we turn the work those FLs will look like back back loops.
Sc in each of next 2 sts, hdc in each of next 3 sts, dc in each of next 4 sts, tr in each of next sts until the end of the row.
Remaining rows: Repeat R 2 and 3 until you have the size you want. Make sure you end up with a repeat of row 3. Do not FO.
Closing the hat
– Make sure to follow next steps to have a clean closing.
– Line up the two edges together right face out.
– Make sure the the edge that have the working loop is the bottom one and the other edge is on top.
– Close the hat like so:
1. Ch 1, insert the hook in the first loop of the top edge.
2. Insert the hook in BL of the opposite stitch of the bottom edge.
3. YO and pull through all loops. You have your first sl st.
4. Repeat until the end of the edges and you reach the top of the hat.
5. FO leaving long tail for sewing.
6. Using a needle sew the top gap close. FO and weave in ends.
7. Attach the pom pom.