In this pattern I’ll be showing you how to make a crochet doily using granny triangles. I shared a simple and easy pattern for the triangles before (link). And today we’ll be using them to make this cute doily.
Skill level: Intermediate
Any kind of medium thickness yarn with suitable crochet hook
MR – Magic ring
st – stitch
sl st – slip stitch
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
hdc – half double crochet
Invisible slip stitch/Invisible join at the end of the pattern
The pattern contain two parts, the first one is how to join the triangles together, and the second is crocheting around the doily to make the edges even.
We’ll be making a small circle at the beginning to fill the center gap.
We’ll need 6 triangles any size you like. Pattern here.
Part one: Joining the triangles.
We’ll be making the small circle first then join the triangles together and joining them with the circle as we go.
1. MR, 6 sc in the ring.
2. 2 sc in each of next 2 sts in the circle.
3. We’ll start joining the triangles. Take two triangles to join them starting with sts that come after the ch sp angle.
4. To join make sl st using the outer loop of each edge (FL of the first triangle and BL of the second one). Complete working with sl st until you reach the next ch sp.
5. Leave the ch sp of the right triangle, and work 6 sc in ch sp of the left one.
6. Sc in each st of the next edge of same triangle until you reach next ch sp, 6 sc next ch sp.
7. W’ll join a new triangle to the one we are working on. Use same method crocheting sl st to join until you reach next ch sp. Skip next ch sp.
8. Repeat from 2 to 7 twice until you join all the triangles.
9. Sl st next st in the circle. FO and weave in ends.
Part two: Working in the outer edges of the doily.
You must noticed the that the doily’s edges aren’t even, in this part we’ll make it even.
1. We’ll start with one of the triangles that we didn’t work in it’s outer edge.
2. Join the yarn by sl st in ch sp that is on the right side. Ch 2 (count as hdc), 5 hdc same ch sp.
3. Hdc in each st of the next edge of the triangle until you reach next ch sp, 6 hdc next ch sp.
4. Skip next 3 sts of the next triangle’s angle. Sc in each of next 3 sts of the same angle.
5. Sc in each of next sts until you reach next angle.
6. Sc in each of next 3 sts, skip next 3 sts.
7. 6 hdc next ch sp.
8. Repeat from 3 to 7 twice until you reach the point were you started.
9. Sl st 2nd ch to join or use the invisible sl st. FO and weave in all ends.